18 Priceless Tips to Preparing Items for Storage
Storage is a great idea – when you want to keep extra home belongings, if you are moving away temporarily, moving into a smaller home etc. You should know how to prepare your belongings for storing and how to pack them effectively before you can organize your storage unit.
We will give you 18 helpful tips on packing for storage and how to prepare and protect your belongings in the best way possible.
These are the best ideas to use when packing items for storage:
- Get the packing materials for storage that you will need – Strong cardboard boxes, Newspapers to wrap things in, moving blankets, moving pads, and a variety of tools to dismantle appliances and furniture if needed. This should be your first step to take in preparing your items.
- Using stackable boxes will help you more easily to arrange them. Using smaller boxes for heavier items is beneficial as it can hold the weight in and makes it easier to transfer. Larger boxes can be used for things such as curtains and bedding. Place the heavier items such as a fridge and dishwasher first into the storage unit, and unbreakable items such as clothes on top.
- Use special dishpack boxes for dishes and breakable items for better protection. Wrap every plate individually in at least one layer of Newspaper and place it on an edge.
- Glassware should also be packed individually. Wrapping each glass, dish, cup, etc. in packing paper of bubble wrap individually will prevent breakage.
- Be careful not to place heavy items on your fragile things even if everything is well packed and well protected. Best would be if you could stack the fragile things you have at the top of the storage unit. Use cushioning at the bottom and top of the boxes.
- It would be easier to move and store furniture and electronics if it is disassembled. That includes breaking down the bed frames.
- When putting your matrass in storage, use matrass bags or old matrass covers. You can protect your mattress from moisture, dirt, dust, rodents and insects by sealing it in plastic during storage.
- Use drawers, shelves and the inside furniture to arrange more things. For example, you can use cupboards to store things like pillows and extra blankets or drawers to pack away soft toys or any small items, such as jewellery. This way you can pack more things using the same space twice.
- Crates can also be used for larger items.
- Use your own towels and blankets to save on packaging materials.
- To protect and cover furniture, you can use blankets, moving pads or shrink wrap.
- Normally appliances doors should be kept closed, unless it’s an appliance such as a fridge or a freezer- always leave the door slightly open to prevent mold.
- If you will be storing chairs as well, place them on one another as this will save a lot of storage space. Of course, use the small space in between the chair legs to put things as well.
- If you will be storing couches, place them on their ends to save from space. Wrapping your couch in plastic can prevent dirt and damage.
- For mirrors use crates or cardboard boxes in order to protect them.
- One of the most useful tips we can give you is to keep hardware and bolts in plastic bags and tape it to the item it belongs too.
- To prevent boxes from collapsing, fill it up entirely.
- Label boxes. This will help you to find specific items you are looking for; in case you would like to remove it from the storage unit to use. Label every box with its content and which room it belongs to on its top and on each of its sides.